New England is notorious for heavy snow and long winters. Frigid temperatures are already making their way through our region. The extreme weather can lead to a dangerous situation if you do not take the necessary precautions. Therefore, it is vital that you implement winter weather safety techniques to get through the harsh weather.
Winter Weather Safety Tips To Be Aware Of
- 1 Winter Weather Safety Tips To Be Aware Of
- 1.1 1. Don’t Turn Your Thermostat Down When You Leave
- 1.2 2. If You Are Going Away, Have Someone Check Your Home
- 1.3 3. Clear The Snow And Wintery Elements Away From Your Fuel Fill Pipe Or Propane Tank
- 1.4 4. Remove Snow And Ice Buildup From Your Roof And Deck
- 1.5 5. Fill Your Gas Tank And Keep A Spare Change Of Clothes And A Blanket In Your Car
- 1.6 6. Check On Your Elderly Neighbors
- 1.7 7. If It’s Too Cold For Us Outside, It’s Probably Too Cold For Our Pets
- 1.8 Conclusion
- 2 Contact Townsend Energy For All Of Your Home Comfort Needs
Below are some tips to prepare for the cold and reduce the likelihood of damaging situations from occurring.
1. Don’t Turn Your Thermostat Down When You Leave
With plummeting temperatures, your heating system will work harder to catch up. If you happen to lose heat, your home will stay warmer for longer, giving you a chance to prevent any damage, such as frozen pipes, burst pipes, and water floods, before they occur.
2. If You Are Going Away, Have Someone Check Your Home
If you are leaving home for a few days or more, have a neighbor or friend swing by to make sure the heat is still running. Be sure to leave Townsend Energy’s telephone number with them should anything stop functioning normally. There are also a variety of home video surveillance cameras available that will allow you to have peace while you are away. Call us for more information.
3. Clear The Snow And Wintery Elements Away From Your Fuel Fill Pipe Or Propane Tank
Leaving snow around your equipment can lead to freezing and cracking. Therefore, be sure to clear away snow and debris to keep your equipment in good condition.
Furthermore, when it is snowy out, be sure to clear a path to your fill pipe or propane tank. Clearing a path prevents our fuel delivery drivers from unnecessary dangerous situations that occur when they have to carry a heavy hose through deep snow or icy paths.
4. Remove Snow And Ice Buildup From Your Roof And Deck
Snow and ice buildup can lead to safety hazards (such as icicles), excessive weight, and water damage on your roof, deck, and other areas that are prone to snow accumulation. Of course, be safe when clearing snow from elevated areas!
5. Fill Your Gas Tank And Keep A Spare Change Of Clothes And A Blanket In Your Car
We hope no one has the need for this one, but it’s good to be prepared. As a general rule of thumb, make sure your gas tank is between half and full at all times. Also, should your car break down, make sure to have a flashlight and blankets in your car while you wait for a towing company.
6. Check On Your Elderly Neighbors
Taking a few minutes to make a phone call, checking in, or knocking on your neighbor’s door can save a life. Make sure their home is warm and they are safe.
7. If It’s Too Cold For Us Outside, It’s Probably Too Cold For Our Pets
When walking your dog, take shorter, more frequent walks. Be sure to bring them inside to enjoy a special treat or bone. Even for dogs who love the colder weather, like Guinness Townsend (pictured below), they should not be outside for long durations.
Following these easy steps will not only keep you and your family warm and comfortable but will also help prevent dangerous and avoidable situations from occurring. As always, don’t hesitate to call Townsend Energy if you need anything or have any questions.
Contact Townsend Energy For All Of Your Home Comfort Needs
Are you looking for an excellent heating system service company or a reliable fuel delivery service? No worries. Give Townsend Energy a call. We’ll be happy to assist you and discuss how we can best meet your home comfort needs.
Townsend Energy has highly trained and certified technicians on staff to service your HVAC equipment. Our services include furnace repairs, boiler installations, HVAC maintenance, and more. All the techs in our company are knowledgeable and experienced, so rest assured that we can correctly service your system. We offer the most competitive HVAC service costs in the area. Book an appointment with us today for a free, no-obligation, in-home consultation.
We also offer fast and reliable fuel deliveries. We deliver heating oil, propane, and diesel. You can count on us to deliver your fuel in a timely manner so that you can stay warm and comfortable all winter long. Be sure to ask us about our various delivery options and financing plans. Call now to find out more!